During my years of auditioning for drama school, I was tripped up so many times by being underprepared. I hadn’t read the play, didn’t know what had happened in the scene just before and had no idea what my objectives were. Since then I worked hard and got into Central, but I want to make sure that no one makes the same mistakes by not preparing. So here are a bunch of questions I was asked over the years about my speeches so you can be better prepared for your auditions.
ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER
- Who is your character talking to?
- Why are they talking to this person? What has just happened?
- How do they feel about this person? What is their relationship?
- How old is your character? What has happened to them to get them to where they are right now?
- What does your character want from the person they are talking to? Why are they opening their mouth?
- How are you affecting the other character? What do you want them to do?
- What does your character want from the scene? What are they trying to achieve?
- What does your character want from life?
ABOUT THE SETTING
- Where are you physically? (front room, restaurant etc)
- What is the climate like? Are they cold/hot? comfortable/uncomfortable?
- What time of day is it?
- What have they been doing up until this point? Are they tired/sad/exhausted? Have they been through all of this before?
- What does the place you’re in look like?
- Are there other people in the space? Do you want them to hear/not hear what you’re saying?
- Are you out in the elements? Are you struggling to be heard?
- Are you in a battlefield? How are you going to connect with multiple people in the space and how are you going to deliver your text?
ABOUT THE PLAY
- Who wrote the play?
- When was it written?
- What was happening at the time? (political landscape, what major events may have influenced the play?)
- Why did you choose this play?
- What happens in the play?
- What are the major turning points in the play?
- What has your character's journey been like throughout the play?
We are always on our Instagram DM’s for advice so please feel free to drop us a message if you need any advice or have any questions about applying!